Friday, February 25, 2011

Decisions

Today I saw my oncologist to get my six monthly Zometa treatment. 



Zometa is a kind of drug for people with breast cancer which should help to prevent getting metastases in your bones.
Today my doctor told me that there is a study (he heard about it on big cancer congress) that this is probably not working as a prevention. It is working when you have metastases in your bones but it's doesn't help you to prevent getting them.

(Bill for my daily pills...one package with 100 pills costs around 600 €. Gladly I have to pay only 5 € the rest will pay my health insurance. I'm so glad that I was born in germany. We have a good health care system)

He said that I shouldn't get the treatment anymore but it's my decision. So what should I do ?? Take the Zometa and live with the side effects or quiting the treatment because it's not working ?!

5 comments:

  1. thats a difficult decision. is there any way for you to ask for other opinions from other doctors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had good advice to give you! Does it have really bad side effects? Then maybe stop, if it's not really proven to have a good benefit. But it's a hard decision, because you want to do all you can to prevent any future problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ruth & Lynne: My doctor told me to talk about with my gynecologist. But I'm not sure if she knows anything about it. I'm still not sure what to do. He asked me to make decission till next week. Right now I think I will keep on taking the Zometa because I don't see any side effects right now (after getting Zometa 2 times already )

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...ich glaub dann würde ich es an deiner Stelle auch weiter nehmen...einfach um auf Nummer Sicher zu gehen. Das is aber auch ne miese Wahl die man da hat ~.~ Wie groß ist denn dieses "probably" in den Studien? Würdest du dich ohne die Tabletten "schutzlos" fühlen oder kannst du den Studien vertrauen/glauben, von Herzen mein ich ó.Ò?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Die Frage ist auch, wie gut ist die Studie? Wie viele Probanden nahmen teil? Wie hoch war der Anteil an weiblichen Testpersonen? Welche Formen von Krebs hatten die Probanden usw... es ist nicht alles so leicht vergleichbar und um eine Studie beurteilen zu koennen, muss man sich ein wenig in Statistik auskennen. Bei Aerzten wird das im Studium eher vernachlaessigt.

    Ich bin mir auch nie so recht sicher, ob man nicht von Medikamenten abgeraten bekommt, weil es eben sehr teuer ist. Dein Arzt hat ja sicher auch ein Budget auf das er achten muss...

    Um eine gute Entscheidung zu treffen, mit der Du Dich auch wohl fuehlst, koenntest Du Dir noch etwas mehr Zeit nehmen und Dich besser informieren...Meinungen von anderen Spezialisten waeren natuerlich super....

    ReplyDelete